Join me on Facebook

Join me on Facebook
Helping women discover practical ways to apply the power of God's Word to their everyday "stuff."

6/3/13

Teach Your Kids To Fight!


“When I am afraid, I will trust in You. When I am afraid, I will trust in You.” Over and over she said these words aloud as she tentatively ventured into the dark room. Then she spotted it. The prize she sought…Mickey Mouse! She grabbed him. And SWOOSH! She was gone, fast as she could back into the living room and the safe haven of the fluorescent bulb. “I did it! I said my verse, and I wasn’t afraid!” And with that Mikaela (who had just turned 3 at the time) had just fought and won her first encounter with spiritual warfare!   

The concept is not hard. The Word has power and it is our weapon against every tactic of the enemy. Even a child can fight this battle. Psalm 56:3 was the verse of the month for Mikaela’s preschool. When she said she was scared to go into the dark room to get her toy by herself I told her she was never alone and to remember her verse. She immediately put the Word to work and won her fight with fear!

“For the weapons of our warfare are not physical [weapons of flesh and blood], but they are mighty before God for the overthrow and destruction of strongholds,” 2 Corinthians 10:4

“For the Word that God speaks is alive and full of power [making it active, operative, energizing, and effective]; it is sharper than any two-edged sword,” Hebrews 4:12a

Mikaela was memorizing scripture before her second birthday. I say this not to brag on her or myself but rather to make a point that our kids are designed by their creator with a much greater capacity for His truths than we often realize. Go ahead, give it a try! You’ll be amazed how quickly your little one will catch on. We started with John 3:16a, Prov. 3:5 and Matthew 22:37.  Practice in the morning over breakfast. Say them before bed. And the greatest time I’ve found is driving around in the car. Turn off the radio and tune your kids into the Holy Spirit! Seeing them discover His Words for the first time will bless your soul.

So go ahead…teach your kids to fight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to chime in! Let me know if you have any specific topics on your mind! Enjoy the day!